The foundation of Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar University (originally known as Agra University) was laid on the 1st of July, 1927. Original jurisdiction of University extended over United Provinces of Agra, Central India and Rajputana with 14 affiliated colleges and 2530 students of which, 1475 students belonged to United Provinces.
Initially, there were only four faculties in the University viz. Arts, Sciences, Commerce and Law. Faculties of Medicine (1936), Agriculture (1938), Home Science (1980), Basic Sciences (1981), Fine Arts (1982) and Management (1994) were added subsequently.
During last eighty three years, the University has endeavoured to keep adopting these high ideas and has established rich traditions and evolved respect from the intellectual community. University has sincerely served the cause of higher education in northern India. The ancient principle of integrating ethical and moral values in education has been the endeavour of the University. To inculcate these essential values in its students academicians have been assiduously trying to sharpen the content and curriculum of the University.
The Agra University, Agra was renamed as Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar University, (06.01.1996).
The University now caters to the educational need of the seven districts of Agra Division Agra, Aligarh, Mainpuri, Hathras, Firozabad, Etah and Mathura.